Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Saying Goodbye

You know, I really hadn't been thinking very much about tonight's Illinois game versus Michigan other than it's a must win for the Illini to make the tournament.

I went this morning to apply for a passport for my Spring Break trip...hopefully I'll be saying goodbye to the USA for a week if it gets to me on time. It has 23 days to get here. With expediting and express mail, they say it takes no longer than 21. Let's hope.

I then head over to my cinema studies (world cinema) course early because I had nothing better to do at home other than find something dumb to waste time on for a bit. I was only listening to music and figured I could do just as much while sitting and waiting for class and not leaving any opportunities to be late to this class (1 minute late, you're absent for the entire 2-hour class...ridiculous).

As I sit down, I notice a Daily Illini on the ground (a common sight in lecture rooms). I usually just ignore it as I maybe read one Daily Illini every three months or so. But I see the sports page has something about senior night (and of course Chief stuff) and decide to pick it up. Then I see the headline of the regular paper was an interview with my friend, Dan Maloney...better known as Chief Illiniwek to Illini nation. I decide to read the article and upon doing so, a myriad of emotions became swept up in me.

First, I was thinking about how I will be witnessing history tonight. I'm going to be in the building, on the court, watching what will likely be the last dance in Chief Illiniwek's 80 year career. My friend is performing the last dance and I can only imagine the pressure and multitude of things that are running through his head right now. I've only told him that I support what he's doing and wish him all the best. Not usually a man of few words, other than when he's in the Chief Illiniwek regalia, a simple thank you and a nod was all that was necessary in response.

I'm not sure that I want people wearing black shirts and the like tonight, but I do support their ability to do so. I will likely take a black shirt with me as an undershirt and wear it if I end up being the only person on the court not wearing black. I do not like to bring attention to myself. Now, whether that shirt will be a regular t-shirt or under armor is yet to be determined...I may wear both and see how many ladies will be around to check out the gun show. :D

Lame, I know...but it seems like I tend to keep putting off the things that I need to get to. In this case, completely ignoring everything going on in the Chief situation, I'm about to sit on the court as a member of the Orange Krush one last time.

My friends have dwindled out of Krush since my freshman year. This has contributed to me usually sitting up in C-section this season with them instead of being down on the court and after waiting in line for hours by myself...that and I still am not able to jump around and go crazy with my ankle...it's not really the bones that hurt as much as it's my freakin' achilles that seems to be permanently enflamed. That said, I was the 4th highest money raiser in the Orange Krush this season, thanks in very large part to some of you outstanding people who read this. You aren't outstanding just because you donated to me or because you take the time to read my blog...you are all just outstanding people that I'm happy to know.

...again, not to get on a tangent...It wasn't until reading that article today before class that I began to think about how many great memories I've been apart of in the Assembly Hall over the past four years. I came to this school, turning down better schools, strictly because I wanted to be in the Block-I and Orange Krush. Illinois has always been my love and I will probably never be able to be as close to the action as I have been during these four years...and what a 4 years to be close to! I hadn't thought about all that coming to an end...until this morning. I suppose that's for the best as I'd rather only worry about it for about 7 hours as opposed to 7 days or weeks.

The Assembly Hall is just about the only place on this campus that I have not been drunk in. I have been drunking walking around the parking lot, but never inside the Hall. Under other substances? Of course, I have been to concerts there. That's another story. I've never had to be drunk in this building. I've had so many great memories...and the best part is...I can actually remember them! I do not have to be told or see photographic evidence of its awesomeness.

I'll be back on campus next fall and I should have student tickets, but it will be up high. I'll never sit courtside again. I'll never see the Chief dance again. I'm saying good-bye to one of the biggest reasons why I came to Champaign to begin with. I'm not going to bust into tears over this, but it's a gut-check. I'm all about not taking things for granted and I really hope that my experience in the Orange Krush and with Chief Illiniwek is not something that I have been. I sure will miss it.

For what is (hopefully) the final game this season at the Assembly Hall...I leave with a few comments.

I have loved it.

I will miss it.

I will always be loyal to you, Illinois.

Go Illini!

fin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home